TODDY Cold Brew System
TODDY Cold Brew System
Toddy is a method of brewing coffee using only cold water. This dramatically extends the time it takes to extract the flavorful compounds in coffee. This slow extraction results in a heavy bodied coffee with exaggerated low tones. Therefore, the system lends itself well to chocolaty, nutty coffees, but there is no problem experimenting with different origins and flavor profiles.
The Toddy Home Brewing kit comes with a plastic brewing chamber, a cloth filter pad, a rubber stopper, and a glass decanter with an air tight lid. It provides a simple method of brewing a family-sized batch of cold brew that is almost identical to that served in our cafes!
- Coffee: 6 oz (half a bag)
- Filtered Water: 7 cups
- Grind: Medium Coarse (resembles sand)
- Time: 12 – 16 hours (depending on preference of strength)
- The Toddy Cold Brew Kit
- Measuring cup
- Insert rubber plug into the bottom of the base of the brewer.
- Place cloth filter in the bottom of the brewer.
- Grind 6 oz of coffee on a medium coarse setting resembling coarse sand.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the brewer.
- Add half of your coffee, distributed evenly across the surface of the water.
- Gently pour 3 cups of water over the coffee, targeting any dry clumps.
- Add the rest of the coffee, distributed evenly across the surface of the water. Do not stir, but gently break up any obviously dry clumps of coffee with a spoon.
- Wait 5 minutes for the coffee to absorb the water and become fully saturated.
- After 5 minutes, add the remaining 3 cups of water in a circular motion, targeting any undersaturated areas of the coffee bed.
- You may want to cover the brew at this point to prevent contaminates.
- Steep for 12 hours at room temperature or 16 hours in the fridge. Experiment with brew times to find a texture and strength that suits your tastes.
- To strain, simply pull out the rubber plug and set the brewer on the provided decanter. It may take several minutes to finish draining.
- Don’t forget to clean your brewer immediately, as coffee residue can reduce the life of your filter.
- This recipe brews a double-strength concentrate. Dilute to taste with pure, filtered water, or enjoy at full strength with ice.